Marriage Counseling Communication Essentials
I’ve been thinking about this topic – marriage counseling communication – for a while. Here’s what this looks like when working with me.
Couples Therapy & Marriage Counseling Communication
I believe it’s important – if you’re needing couples therapy – to see a professionally trained marriage counselor and couples therapist.
Definition of Marriage Counseling Communication
Marriage counseling communication means more than creating an environment where each of you talk with each other. It’s deeper than that…
It’s about creating a space where each partner can truly open up about who they are as individuals, who they are in their marriage or relationship, and who they aspire to be.
It is about experiencing each other in new ways. By being able to be vulnerable and open with each other. To be able to share in ways that connect and create more intimacy between you.
Step 1: Marriage Counseling Communication
The first steps for marriage counseling communication when clients see me are:
- Allowing each partner to express themselves
- Helping partners understand more about each other’s point of view and feelings
- Learning more about each partner’s experiences within the marriage or relationship
- Understanding each partner’s life experiences, relationship experiences, and family environment they grew up in
- Voicing their hopes, dreams, goals and also concerns or fears around couples therapy or marriage counseling
Step 2: Marriage Counseling Communication
The next step is to move toward identifying and becoming aware of the current communication between both partners:
- Some couples may be caught in criticism, blame and defensiveness
- Others might be stuck in a cycle of high conflict
- Other couples might be caught in a dance of avoiding conflict and trying to keep the peace by avoiding
Step 3: Marriage Counseling Communication
After becoming aware of how communication currently looks, couples can then start to learn new ways of communicating. New ways of talking and really hearing each other. To help increase emotional connection and intimacy in their marriage or relationship.
Couples then learn how to repair and learn more about each other’s needs moving forward.
Marriage Counseling Communication Help
If you’re ready for help, and you live in and around Austin, TX, please contact me. There are many ways you can connect with me.
*Blog is intended for informational and educational purposes only.