Marriage Rituals – Do you have them?
What marriage rituals are currently happening in your relationship?
Having rituals in your relationship is important because it provides a type of structure around connecting with your spouse. It allows for a time that you both use to unite and connect, even if it’s in small gestures such as making your spouse coffee in the morning for example.
It provides a structure that you can count on regularly. That’s what makes it a ritual. It’s something that’s repeated throughout your relationship.
Examples of Marriage Rituals
Marriage rituals are unique to each couple. I recommend creating rituals that have meaning to you both. That have meaning for your relationship.
This isn’t about what other couple’s do or don’t do. This is specific and special to your marriage. These are rituals that you both can sustain and allow you to connect emotionally.
Some examples include:
Morning Marriage Rituals
Mornings can be a good time to connect, even for a brief moment, and can have a positive impact on the rest of your day.
Ideas for morning rituals:
- Waking each other up and greeting each other in the morning in a manner that’s special and unique to your relationship.
- If you have children, think about how loving and caring you are when you wake your children in the morning. The same principle applies to your spouse.
- Have a ritual around how you leave each other in the morning as you embark on your day.
- Maybe you have breakfast or coffee/tea with each other; or maybe you have coffee/tea ready for your partner.
Coming Home Marriage Rituals
Greeting each other when you reunite at the end of the day is another important time to connect. Creating a marriage ritual around how you greet each other when you come home can help partners destress. It can make home a welcoming place.
Ideas for coming home rituals:
- Greet each other at the door. Allow yourself a moment to reconnect with each other.
- Set aside a time after coming home where you take a moment to connect with each other and ask about each other’s day. Maybe you meet on the couch so that you can be looking at each other.
Going to Bed Marriage Rituals
Similar to waking up, going to bed rituals can be a very important connection time. Even if you don’t go to bed at the same time, you can still tuck your spouse into bed, give them a kiss and say goodnight. Similar to what you’d do if you have children. It’s the same concept.
Ideas for going to bed rituals:
- If you go to bed at the same time, maybe you take a moment to connect around what you both are grateful for.
- Allow this time to be a time where you both can relax.
Creating Marriage Rituals
Marriage rituals can be a wonderful bonding experience for spouses. Enjoy the process of creating your’s!
*Blog is intended for informational and educational purposes only.